If you’re planning on going on an international trip, one thing you need is your Passport. The photo requirements for a US passport are as follows:
According to The Department of State, your passport photo must be:
- Taken in full color
- Printed on photo quality paper which can be either matte or glossy
- Must be sized at 2” x 2”
- Your head must be sized between 1” and 1 3/8”
- Have been taken within the past 6 months to assure that it reflects your appearance as it is now
- Have a white or off white background
- You must be facing the camera fully
- The photo must be taken at eye level
- You must have a neutral expression and both eyes open
- You must not be wearing a hat, sunglasses or distracting clothing
- If you wear glasses on a daily basis, you can wear them—but there must not be a glare
- Photos of children are slightly more flexible, but the child must still be able to be fully identified
Once you have your passport photo you’re ready to travel!
The entire process for requesting a passport is detailed on the Department of State website.